Prawn to be Wild, Delicious & Healthy…..

The food World appears to be going crazy for courgetti right now. For the people that are looking for ways to eat more of their 5 (or is it 10?) a day, reduce their carbs and live a healthier life will be well aware of the craze, and I am loving it!!! Courgetti has even started to pop-up on menus in restaurants, within ready meals at the supermarket and you can actually buy recipe books dedicated to the stuff.

Never would I ever have thought that you could actually get away with replacing pasta with a vegetable and enjoy it, but hey, it works! And that’s coming from one of the Worlds biggest pasta lovers!

This dish as a whole has to be a new favourite of mine; it’s packed full of flavour, easy to cook and super good for you, so what’s not to like.

If you feel a little uneasy about the situation as a whole and don’t believe me then why not start with half and half, so reducing your gluten intake and increasing your vegetable uptake is a great way to start! And I’m not saying give it up for good (as that would make me a ginourmous hypocrite!), but the weekends are for cheating right?!…

Prawn Courgetti with a Red Pepper Sauce

• 200g raw king prawns
  • 1 handful fresh basil
  • Parmesan shavings – to serve

Pre-heat the oven to 180’C

Toss the pepper in the olive oil and roast for 20 minutes

Add the tomatoes and garlic and cook for a further 20 minutes

Squeeze out the garlic from their skins and return to the dish. Stir in the red wine, sugar and tomato puree and cook for a final 10 minutes

Once cooked, blend the mixture together with the stock until smooth, and then push through a fine sieve to make even smoother.

Set-aside until ready to serve.

Spiralise your courgettes and then toss through the lemon juice and sugar and set aside.

Heat a large pan with a splash of oil and fry the onion until soft.

Add the sauce and once bubbling stir in the prawns

Cook through until the prawns have turned lovely and pink and then turn off the heat.

Fold in the courgetti and then plate up, sprinkling over your basil leaves and parmesan and enjoying with salad.

Nutritional Info:

• Calories – 316
  • Fat – 9g
  • Carbs – 26g
  • Sugars – 15g
  • Protein – 28g

12 comments

1. Anonymous said on April 27, 2017 Reply

how do you actually spiralize it? what tool do you use?

1. Profile photo of homemadewithmess
      homemadewithmess said on April 27, 2017 Reply

You can get a gadget called a Spiraliser/Spiralizer. They are pretty cheap to pick up and really easy to use (And is much quicker than trying to do it with a knife). If you google it then you should get a pretty good idea, otherwise I’m happy to recommend.

2. Christine said on April 27, 2017 Reply

Thank you for stopping by my blog. After checking out a few of your recipes, you have very different recipes here. May have to come back and try a few. Have a great day.

1. Profile photo of homemadewithmess
      homemadewithmess said on April 27, 2017 Reply

Please do! – Hopefully there’s enough on here for you to find something you like!

3. jessicabookworm said on April 28, 2017 Reply

Mmm courgetti and prawns sounds like heaven to me. I am also loving the craze for courgetti as courgette was already my favourite vegetable! 🙂

4. Lisa Marie Da Ponte said on May 15, 2017 Reply

I am in Canada and I had to look up courgettes to figure out what it was. Zucchini! I love this recipe and I really wish that I could make a batch! Unfortunately, I have ALS and can longer eat food by mouth (except ice cream – woohoo!) but I will definitely pass this recipe on. Thank you for a lovely recipe!

1. Profile photo of homemadewithmess
      homemadewithmess said on May 16, 2017 Reply

I’m so sorry to hear that, that must be incredibly hard, but as you said, a least you still have ice cream!! – If you search “Ice Cream” in my search bar you’ll find quite a few recipes, this one is my particular favourite……. http://homemadewithmess.co.uk/recipe/lemon-cheesecake-ice-cream/

1. Lisa Marie Da Ponte said on May 16, 2017

Don’t be sorry, I’ve been living with ALS for over 12 years so I’m one of the lucky ones! Plus, I would never have met my husband had I never been hospitalized. Now I’m writing my blog to share my love of cooking with everyone! And I get to pass recipes that I find, like yours, with my friends and family! Keep up the great work!!

5. Fann said on May 15, 2017 Reply

Ohhhhhh I have to try this sometime. I love the title prawn to be wild. Made me giggle!

1. Profile photo of homemadewithmess
      homemadewithmess said on May 16, 2017 Reply

Thank you – please let me know if you try it!

6. kaitiscotland said on May 20, 2017 Reply

May I reblog this on diabetesdietblog.com?

1. Profile photo of homemadewithmess