I don’t know about you but I find it incredibly difficult to get out of bed on a Monday morning. The weekend seems too far away and now that the mornings are closing in there is also the dark and cold to battle with. I also have a tendency to over indulge at the weekends, with too much food (usually cheese based) and a lot of wine, so when Monday comes around I actually crave food that not only tastes good but makes you feel good too.
My Mum has always lived by the phrase, “You are what you eat, so if you eat rubbish you’ll feel rubbish”; well this recipe is far from rubbish, and let me just breakdown why…..
– Brown rice – this is a great source of fibre and will provide you with slow releasing energy to keep you going throughout the day – in fact this recipe wouldn’t be out of place as one of those “fuller for longer” by a supermarket chain I won’t mention.
– Tuna – if you Google “health benefits of tuna” then the list is endless, but to summaries… the omega-3 is great for your heart and helps prevent high blood pressure – which can be more common on a Monday with the stress of having 5 whole days of work ahead of you (not technically a true statement, but let’s face it, Monday’s suck!)!!!
– There are plenty of vegetables; including courgettes, peppers, red cabbage, tomatoes, cucumber and lemon juice – so it’s a big contributor to your 5 a day.
– Chilli – this adds a delicious kick to the dish and wakes you up.
– Halloumi – this just makes me happy, lets face it, it’s awesome!
I actually made this recipe a while ago to eat before taking part a run challenge (5K with loads of inflatable obstacles) and it was perfect for it, but it would also be great to make up the night before and have for a working lunch (or if you’re a bit weird like me then also for breakfast). Not only is it a great meal for every occasion, but it also tastes delicious and costs just £1.03 per portion! – so if that’s not reason enough to try it I don’t know what is….
Tuna, Brown Rice, Fresh Vegetables, Halloumi and Egg Salad
– 4 handfulls brown rice
– 1 vegetable stock cube
– 1 splash oil
– 1/2 courgette – grated
– 1/2 yellow pepper – finely chopped
– 1/2 red onion – finely chopped
– 70g red cabbage – finely chopped
– 100g halloumi – finely chopped
– 185g tin of tuna – drained
– 1 large tomato – finely chopped
– 2 inch piece of cucumber – finely chopped
– Juice of 1 lemon
– 1 handful fresh coriander – finely chopped
– 1 twist salt and pepper
– 1 tsp smoked paprika
– 1 egg
– 2 tsp chilli sauce
Cook your rice according to the pack instructions with 1 vegetable stock cube
Heat a splash of oil in a large frying pan or wok and fry the onion and pepper for 2 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredient, including the rice but minus the egg and give a good stir to combine.
Make a well in the middle and crack the egg into it. Once the white starts to cook fold the rice into it and continue to stir while the eggs cooks – this should only take a couple of minutes.
Plate up and enjoy or allow to cool and box-up for the healthy lunch the next day.
Cost per portion – £1.03
– Calories – 469
– Fat – 12g
– Carbs – 56g
– Sugars – 4g
– Protein – 25g