I have been brought up believing that the best medicine for a cold is eating well. My mum would always pile me with fruit and glasses off fresh orange juice and I honestly believe this does help. My recipe today is what I will always make if I start to feel a cold brewing. It’s full off vegetables and spice and will just blow that cold right out of you. Be prepared with your tissues though, as it will make your nose run!
This Serves 6
– 1 onion – roughly chopped
– 2tbsp olive oil
– 2 cloves of garlic – crushed
– 2 chillies – finely slices
– 1 carrot – finely chopped
– 1 courgette – cut into length way quarters and then chopped
– 2 sticks of celery finely sliced
– 1 large pepper, cut into fine strips
– 2 tbsp Worcester sauce
– 2 tsp cumin
– 1-2 tsp chilli powder; depending on taste
– 1 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
– 1 vegetable stock cube – crumble into the empty tomato tin and filled with hot water
– 1 400g tin kidney beans
– 1 410g tin baked beans
– 100g sweetcorn
Turn the oven to 180’C
Fry the onion in in the olive oil for 5 minutes until it starts to brown
Add the garlic and chilli, stir, then add the rest of the vegetables and fry for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally
Add the Worcester sauce, cumin and chilli powder and coat the vegetables in this, frying for a minute or so.
Add all the ingredients except the sweetcorn and put in the oven for an hour. It would be ready in less time if you’re impatient but I love my chilli thick and rich so the longer the better.
Remove from the oven and stir in the sweetcorn. Leave for 5 minutes and then serve with rice, a jacket potato or on its own topped with grated cheese.